Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Making the low go.

Day 2: What helps me get back to "normal" when my blood glucose level is too low?

It's never good when hubbie and I are having a conversation/discussion/mini-argument and he'll throw in, "Maybe you should test.  You're not thinking straight."  It drives me crazy.  Even if he's right.  It's like asking a girl if it's "that time of the month" because she's being irrational.  You wanna scream at the person.  So I go and test and if I'm not fine then I'll announce the number and he'll graciously bring me a cup of OJ and I'll take it from him and continue with my point.  As the sugar kicks in I start seeing straight again. He has a point.  Wow.  What's great is that he doesn't use that against me.  Although he'll ask again the next time I'm being completely off, he is usually right.  He knows me inside and out - he can tell when I am off better than anyone. 

I always carry DEX4 tabs (huge, fat glucose"coins") in my purse.  They do the job but they taste like chalk sometimes.  Pop and juice is good too but they don't taste good either since usually my taste buds are completely out of whack when I'm low. 

My favorite is to take advantage of the low and have something that is usually "sorta" off-limits.  As I mentioned in my previous post, I don't have many things that are off-limits now-a-days.  That's not good.  I gotta re-evaluate this.  Anyone feel like yelling at me?  Feel free.  I need some sense knocked into me.  For goodness sake, I'm pregnant and diabetic.  Or rather, I'm diabetic and pregnant (in that order)!  I don't get to have whatever I want because I'm pregnant.  Grow some self-control, Rebeca!  (maybe that will do it... for today.)

My scariest low episode was when we flew down to Florida.  We went to bed around midnight the night before and woke up in a panic around 3:30 because we slept in.  So we frantically ran around the house and packed the last minute things and threw it all in the car.  Woke up the sleeping 1 year-old and in his white-too-big-pj-onesie and plopped him in his car seat.  Raced across town to meet our friends who we were driving to the airport with and their annoyed parents who were also flying down with us.  So we were exhausted, rushed, embarrassed and unprepared.  I thought I was doing well, but the craziness of getting to the airport must have really messed up my sugars.  Our flight was at 6:30 and we grabbed some breakfast sandwiches as we raced down to our gate.  Noah was fully awake and wanting to crawl around.  I did not yet have a chance to even change his diaper so it was all soggy and full.  That onesie was really long on him and as he crawled around he really looked like Maggie from The Simpsons

Anyways, his diaper overflowed just as they called out last boarding call.  We had no choice but to get on the plane just like that.  I thankfully had stocked him diaper bag with more diapers and wipes the night before but I couldn't decide on the outfit for the plane or his "back-up" outfit so I left it for the morning.  Since we slept in, there was no outfit for the plane (unless you count his Maggie outfit) and there was certainly no back up outfit.  We were a mess.  Our friends' parents were still annoyed and although we were trying to make light of the situation it was not a good start.  Never mind the diabetic that hasn't slept, was running around the house, is stressed beyond belief and on top of it all feels like a failed mom. 

I held Noah in my lap, pee stained onesie, full diaper and all.  Finally once we were in the air I went to the minuscule washroom, changed him and I really don't remember how I dealt with the onesie situation.  I may have just dealt with it.  There was no other option.  I would have purchased a $50 "outfit" from their on-flight magazine but no such luck.  Once we landed in Orlando we got our luggage and rented a car. It was crazy hectic still.  It just didn't stop.  We started hunting for a McDonald's on our way to our hotel and Noah fell asleep in the car seat.  I was starting to feel exhausted and slightly weird.  I opted to stay in the car with Noah while everyone went in to eat in the McDonald's.  Suddenly, as I sat there waiting for hubbie to bring out my order I could feel something really weird happen to my face.  I was twitching.  TWITCHING!  Uncontrollably. I got out my iPhone and tried to text hubbie to tell him to rush out to me now!  I couldn't really properly text.  I must have sent something that sounded desperate because he rushed out with an orange juice and looked at me strangely as my face slowly stopped doing the ugly twitch.  It was so weird. 

Later my endo. explained that my sugar was dropping so fast that my nervous system must have gotten some sort of mixed signals.  It has never happened since.  And I pray it never will again.  It was completely involuntary and I couldn't control it.  So weird.  (Just imagine the cop in Dumb & Dumber when we takes a swig of the beer bottle that is filled with urine - that face!  That's what my face was doing! LOL.)

More common symptoms are sweaty and shaky and a feeling like I'm acting like BeavisEeeeee.  Fists clenched and all.  If I ever wake up in the night and I'm wide awake in seconds ( like literally sitting up and looking around) my shirt is usually soaked and I know I have a low.  I'm not very good at keeping the night stand stocked (something I've been reading in the blogs that most other T1 diabetics do) so I have to stagger to the kitchen to eat the fridge.  I know I should just have some juice but usually I end up having some bread with Nutella and milk or cake or honey on toast with butter.  I am hungry on top of it all.  Once I can think straight I get sleepy again and I walk back to the bedroom where I change my pjs to a dry set and climb back into bed.  That usually happens if I am not wearing a sensor. 

I love having those sensors on but I hate paying for them.  If anyone has any tips on how to have them covered on Canadian soil I would appreciate it!  I know some US insurance companies cover them but Canadian ones, none that I know of. 

But Insurance Company woes are for a different post! I won't open that can of worms. Not today.

7 comments:

  1. I'm reading a few of your blogs (great!) - and realising you live in Canada - with your Tim Horton's reference (I should own stock in that company) - and now your Canadian one about insurance companies and Nutella (yum - my fav spread or just lick it right off the spoon ).

    My hubby works at Bombardier here in Montreal, and luckily they covered 100% for the CGMS - if I was still using it. I did try it in the beginning - but I found it too much being connected up to 2 things in my body. When I spoke to some Dex 7 reps back at a 5-day diabetic conference last Fall in Montreal (International Diabetes Federation - big candy bowl of so much diabetic info - I went home tired and happy each night) - anyway - they said I should NEVER have started both pump/CGMS at same time. They advised, CGMS first, then pump. Maybe today I'd still be using it if I had been better educated (I had next to no help with learning pump/CGMS due to language here in Montreal).

    Anyway, can't wait to read your next blog during this week. I'm part of it, but Karen is having probs with my RSS feed for Diabetes1.org - so for now she's told me to post my blog link in the Comments area. Feel kind of left out in the Comment field - but it's okay - I'm used to peering thru' the window and .... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. o my gosh Rebecca!! that plane ride! ug...what an experience!
    i love reading everyone's viewpoints this week...i have so much to catch up on...
    thanks for dropping by my pump gear and leaving a comment! i'll look forward to what you have to say the rest of the week too...and, i love Jesus' quote at the top of your site :) i am a cancer survivor myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. What an experience. I'm glad you were able to get your husband's attention for some juice.

    My scariest low was when I was pregnant with my third. I had corrected twice with a lot of carbs, I might add. But I kept dropping. I had the worst headache and I had to pick up my husband from the BART station in the San Francisco Bay Area where we live.

    I downed another snack and then got my kids in the car. I stared at the steering wheel not knowing what to do. I honestly could not remember how to back out of a driveway. I remember thinking that if I could just get out I could go forward. That part of driving I knew.

    By the grace of God I managed to get to my husband without any problems. We traded places and he drove home while I ate some fruit snacks, my weapon of choice.

    My endo told me that it's unfair to make pregnant women stay in a constant state of hypoglycemia. It's dangerous but it's the only way to hope for a healthy baby.

    Good luck with your pregnancy. It is so hard to be disciplined, I know. Soon it will all be over and you'll have a sweet bundle of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys.

    FatCatAnna: Yeah I am Canadian - from Windsor, ON. WOW 100% coverage that is awesome. I have the CGM from Medtronic not DEXCOM but Manulife (my ins company through work) does not cover my sensors. It's about $200 out of pocket every month. With being preggo we decided it was mandatory so covered or not I gotta have 'em. I have baby brain way too often, ie. not bolusing for a meal.

    Nan: thanks for stopping by. I love that you guys make little tiny pump packs for teddies! That is such an awesome idea!

    Tristan: That sounds scary. That happens at work sometimes. I totally space out during a low and forget how to do something. Surprisingly a driving low hasn't happened to me yet. Very surprising. But last week we were at Quiznos and when it was my turn to order - I was having a low - I ordered allllll the wrong stuff. Even my drink. I finally sat down with my food and hated everything on my tray... it was a combination of pregnancy and T1 but mostly the low.

    I'll surf over to your pages and read up tonight. Can't wait. This week has been awesome! I love connecting with other "dysfunctional" peeps like me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL I stomp my feet sometimes when my other half asks me if I'm low too - I know they mean well but it's a grrrrrr moment :) ESPECIALLY when I am low :)

    The image of Noah looking like Maggie was pretty cute - that was the only cute bit - it must've been seriously scary - esp being out of your comfort zone on holiday.

    I have finally learned to keep the nightstand stocked. Do you sometimes find it tricky actually getting your brain together to make it to the kitchen? I know I do.

    Thanks for a great post that reminds me that there are other dysfunctionals out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a scary low - and a stressful way to start the trip! I hope the rest of your vacation was much better than that!

    Yeah, sometimes when I'm "yelling" at my husband he'll suggest that maybe I should test too. Sometimes I am low - but when I'm not, I usually remind him that once in a while it isn't blood sugar, it's just him being annoying!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Hang tight and I'll approve it.