Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hubbie, my biggest supporter

Day 3: My Hubbie keeps me going

He is amazing.  Even when I screw up he takes care of me so lovingly.  He is the one that finds my purse and attempts to dig out my tester when I'm totally acting weird.  He's the one that asks me during meals - some times a few times a day - "Did you take insulin?"  He's the one that gets out of the warm bed that we're settling in and gets me a glass of OJ before bed.  He's also the one that drops everything and in the middle of his work day drives home to get my insulin pump (which I forgot to reconnect after my shower) and drives it to me at work.  He's the one that leaves the restaurant/friend's house with me when my pump gets a NO DELIVERY alert.  And he doesn't complain.  He doesn't lecture.  He loves me so much.  He tells me about it later, but never in the moment.  He is so wonderful that way. 

I'm sure I don't tell him that enough.  He helps me be a better diabetic.  But he also has the same sentiments as my endo - I enjoy carbs way too much.  With a smirk he tells me, "You're the worst diabetic I know."  The truth is we don't know many diabetics.  And with A1Cs of 6.0% who's he calling a bad diabetic?!  I know he does it to encourage me to be better.  I never get annoyed with him asking me if I've tested or given myself insulin - since so many times he is the only reason I avoid the ridiculous highs that hit when I forget to bolus.  What's funny is that he's usually asks if I bolused when I reach for the second helping or when I am having a very high carb meal.  So instead of him exclaiming something ridiculous like, "Why are you having that?" he knows better and instead makes sure I covered the meal with insulin.  After all, that is how being Type 1 diabetic works.  Cover your meal with insulin... (ew, just got a mental image of insulin poured over my meal - that bitter, nasty smell - ew!  Must be a preggo thing.)

He is the one that insists on the CGM sensors because he knows how much better that is for me in the long run.  He helps me remember that the cost for those little suckers is nothing compare to the benefits. 

He is always the first one I call after the endo appointments to announce my A1C results.  And he is always the one that praises me and celebrates these small victories.

*** As a side note - get this!  The coolest thing happened at my last endo appointment.  I usually have to have my blood work done about a week or two before each appointment.  Even though I'm diabetic - I hate having my blood drawn.  I usually always ask to lay down for them.  This time I forgot to go.  For goodness sake, I have an endo. appt, an OB appt, an ultrasound and blood work EVERY MONTH.  I'm gonna slip with something.  Throw a blood work appt. every month in there somewhere (the one appt I hate the most) and I will sometimes "forget" to have it done from time to time.  Anyways I was very apologetic at my endo appointment and disappointment in myself because I actually really wanted to know my results.  So my fabulous Diabetes Nurse Educator Jacquie said if I wanted she can have my A1C results in 5 min.  I was like, "What?!"  So she whipped out this "A1CNOW" kit.  She asked me to prick my finger with my own "pricker" and then she drew it up in a slightly larger "test strip".  She inserted it into this little A1CNOW black little plastic thingy (it was all so fascinating) and the countdown started on the tiny screen. 4:59, 4:58, 4:57 etc.  Within 5 min my A1C popped up on the screen and it said 6.0%.  I was blown away!  Wow!  I thanked and thanked and thanked them for it.  At the end of my appointment my endo said, "See you in a month.  And don't worry about going for blood work - we'll do up your A1C here in the office when you come."  I was so happy I hugged him!  How cool is that?  I really wanted to share this new small victory. ***

COMING SOON TO AN ENDOCRINOLOGIST'S OFFICE NEAR YOU. Hopefully.

My mom is also a big supporter.  For her it's a little different.  I think she still regards me as her little girl and would love it if she could just "fix" me rather than watch me deal with it.  But I remember when I was first diagnosed I called her later that night to lament and cry a little, saying "woe is me".  But she kept a cool head and told me "Millions of people live with diabetes and it's manageable."  I wasn't aware of this.  I pulled myself together and had a different attitude.  I didn't know until much later that she hung up the phone with me and then cried.  She kept it together as to strengthen me, then allowed herself to break down and cry because she knew her daughter faced a tough battle ahead.  She also asks me if I gave myself insulin on a regular basis.  I don't allow it to annoy me because a lot of times if she wouldn't have mentioned it I wouldn't have done it... I am so absentminded now-a-days.  

There are others in my life that support me - but none compare to my hubbie and or to the way a mom loves.  I can't wait until Noah will join in my little support network.  He already points out "mamma's pump" when he sits next to me and says "Noah too!" when he sees me test my BG.  And I do test him - I'm being proactive.  Sometimes he asks, then he chickens out.  And I say it's okay.  Next time.  He likes to play with the little pricker guy.  I always tell him "Make sure you put a little finggy at the top here." And when he does it, he says "All by himself" indicating that he wants to push the blue button on the lancet "launcher".  It's funny.  I randomly test him just to make sure he hasn't developed it.  He gets about 2 tests a month or so.  Only when he wants to.  The other day he pulled out the little pretend pager out of his Little M.D. toy set and clipped it to his pocket and said "Just like mamma."  And I praised him for it.  Because I figure if he ever gets diagnosed (he has a 1 in 25 chance of getting Type 1 though "genetics" I guess) then at least we'll go on that - mamma has one too.  I'm not sure if it's okay or not.  But that's how it is.  When he asks to be tested when he sees mamma do it, and he allows me to do it, I praise him!  It may come in handy one day.  I pray not, but you never know.  None of us really know what life has in store. 

I'm sure in no time he'll learn how to dial 911 and to bring mama a juice box from the pantry when she isn't acting like herself.  He amazes me since he is only 2 1/2 years-old.  I know soon he'll be my little helper.  After all, 4 more months and he will be a Big Brother. 

3 comments:

  1. Who knew there were so many great husbands to diabetics out there? I feel like we should round up a stash of single guys who are up to the task -- then we can dole them out to the single WWDs who're on the market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish my endo's office had one of those A1C things! I've heard of them but apparently in CA, where Mini Med is headquartered, there is no A1C thing! At least at my endo's office.

    Your husband sounds like a great guy. Your little boy sounds darling. My kids don't ask too many questions. But they know I do what I do to stay alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have the ultra quick a1c reader at my hospital. They'd do it every fortnight at the maternity clinic :O No excuses for 'forgetting' to go to the blood lab :p

    Your hubby is a treasure. I was thinking that I probably didn't give mine enough press in my post, but gees we're lucky. I couldn't imagine not having someone so supportive. I can't wait until D is old enough to fetch me a sugary drink. She already watches the meter count down with amazement :)

    PS: Carbs yum yum yum :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Hang tight and I'll approve it.