Sunday, May 9, 2010

Celebrating Mother's Day 1.5 times

So Mothers Day 2010 is wrapping up.  Noah is down for the night and hubbie and I are about to settle in to a movie.

This year I was able to enjoy being a mom to Noah and to Nr. 2.  It's true - even though this baby is not born yet I am already mothering him with everything in me.  I have to be so much more careful with this "unseen" baby than with the sweet little toddler that walks around and looks like me.  Although I shouldn't say "unseen" since EVERYONE can see the belly before they see me!

Which actually reminds me about something really annoying that everyone is commenting on lately.  I am finding that I get so irritated lately when people exclaim or ask me if I'm going to have "a really big baby" since I am diabetic.  I get it at least 3 or 4 times at work, a day.  No joke.  I think the next person that asks me that will really get an earful.  Random clients or even acquaintances will do this weird face and say something stupid like - "So because you're diabetic you make really big babies."

The reason that annoys the crap out of me is because it's so ignorant.  I feel like they are judging me.  While I understand that babies of diabetics can be bigger than other babies, it is not the standard.  And in fact the "risk" of a big baby is present if the maternal blood sugars were not tightly controlled.  So I guess I feel like they are personally attacking me and disregarding all the hard work I'm putting into this pregnancy and offering up the only tidbit of "knowledge" they know.  And when I hear someone say "You MAKE big babies" it further implies that I am defective somehow.  And while that may be true in some ways because, yes, my pancreas is broken - I do not PRODUCE big babies.


Noah was 9 lbs 9 oz when he was born but my endo. said that was not due to the fact that he was a child of a diabetic mom.  I maintained A1Cs of 5.6% and had no complications of any kind!  My child was a bigger kid.  He was not chubby or chunky and he was never a "Michelin-Man" baby.  He was just a bigger kid. 


I'm venting, I know.  But seriously people are so ignorant and it drives me up the wall.  Why do we as diabetics not receive the same common courtesy as other "sick" people?  No one would ever go up to a cancer patient and said "You're probably going to lose your hair eh?" No.  They understand that they should be gracious and watch their mouth.  They can choose to say something nice instead - "Wow, you're all baby!"  or "You are really glowing!" or say nothing.  Having a big baby for a diabetic is a "complication" or a "risk" so why do these people think that they can simple mention it in passing?  Wow. Some people.


On a lighter note I received the "sickest" gift for Mother's Day this year.  I was just talking with some girls at work on Thursday night about what are appropriate Mother's Day gifts.  Some of us younger, newly married girls were saying that a dishwasher or a sleek kitchen faucet would be a sweet gift.  But the unmarried ones were totally not "getting it".  How can a kitchen "appliance" be a good gift?

Well I stood my ground and funny enough I get home that night and hubbie announces we are heading to Lowe's in the States (we live in a border city).  I probed into the nature of our spontaneous trip to a "home improvement" store and he brought me over to our MAC and showed me the sweetest YOUTUBE video.  For Mother's Day this year he wanted to buy me this sexy Delta Touch2o Technology kitchen faucet.  I was blown away!  I had seen this thing in all kinds of home decor magazines and always wanted it but never dared admit it.

If your hands are dirty with, let's say raw chicken, you simply touch the faucet with your wrist and the water turns on.  Therefore not contaminating the knobs of the faucet.  I recall the tag line for the faucet ads (sad, I know) - "The facet your wrist has been waiting for."


We installed it yesterday and it is a dream.  Really - a dream.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Mother's Day :) I got the same thing too. Our DD was 6lb 3oz at 34 weeks when she was born - and it wasn't due to the T1 that she came early. I had to bite my tongue. The fact that we're both really tall and she wasn't fat, just very long, didn't seem to compute. Sigh :)

    I get the faucet excitement too - I'm the queen of spraying every surface with chemicals with fear of contamination - esp since the baby.

    All the best with number 2. Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Hang tight and I'll approve it.