Saturday, August 14, 2010

So we almost had a baby

Last night was wild.  I was up until about 4 am with what felt like Braxton Hicks contractions - but they were consistently 6 min apart.  I wasn't sure if I should head over to the hospital or what.  I didn't want to at all because I feel so unprepared.  I don't just feel unprepared, I am unprepared.  I don't have a bag packed - no outfit picked out for No. 2 and to be honest I haven't even had "the talk" with my OB about when to go in. I was searching Google for answers at 2 or 3 a.m. reading blogs and Yahoo! Answers.

Then finally they started spacing out to 8 min apart then 10... so I went to sleep.  But it was wild.  We were almost sure it was time.  Which is crazy.

It all started with me getting ready for a wedding that we have today.  I was doing my nails during Devil Wears Prada, when half-way through the movie I noticed the contractions kept coming in waves.  They weren't painful at all (except that No. 2 was super active and would try to move around even during contraction which hurt).  Then as the movie ended they kept coming.  So I started timing them and that's when I noticed they were consistently every 6 min... and it stayed that way for at least 2 hours or more... then they spaced out and I was able to fall asleep.

I pulled out "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and starting cramming like for an exam.  I motored through the Ninth Month chapter and the Labour & Delivery chapter in record time, all the while experiencing mild contractions still 6 min apart.

When the book wasn't clear enough for me I turned to online help.  Almost all the bogs and Answers online said "Go to the hospital" but I was ready to wait it out a bit to make sure it was real.  They only want to admit you when you're 5 min or 4 min apart consistently.  And I think there is pain by that point right?  I mean, I understand that every woman labours differently and every pregnancy can be different too.  I remember with Noah I was in pain.  At least menstrual crap style pain.  And last night all I had was a very active No. 2 and almost no pain during any of the contractions...

I woke up this morning and was glad and relived it isn't time yet.  I quickly made up a list of what I need for the hospital and plan on packing that bag and picking out No. 2's outfit tomorrow or Monday.  And we are still stuck on a middle name.  I have to pick that out pronto too!  We have beautiful first name (sorry, I don't wanna spoil it) but Hubby vito-ed my middle name selection.  We are on the hunt for something that will go with the first name...

Well last night's close call really put things in perspective for me.  I need to get my butt into gear and get the stuff ready for baby whether renos are done or not.

I'm happy to announce Hubby's office in the basement is nearing completion.  First coat of primer is already on!  Yay!  Now just two coats of paint and carpet and we are moving the office out of the spare room and after two coats of paint in there too, I can start moving in the baby furniture :)

I can't wait!

We are now in between our friend's wedding ceremony and reception.  A quick stop by home to freshen up and such... so I thought I'd share.

Well there you have it folks.  I got a little taste of "spontaneous" labour and it was everything it sounds like - spontaneous and a wee bit exciting.

Me, today, on pee break just before the start of the ceremony

4 comments:

  1. Oh you look gorgeous! I love your outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look amazing Rebeca! Good luck getting everything ready...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope I look as cute and as good as you at 9months!! It will be here before you know it...so happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGsh!!!! YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Love that awesome mom picture....I can't wait to hear the news of your new addition :) God bless!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Hang tight and I'll approve it.