Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Drill

So, we had an interesting Tuesday.  Hubby and I took a nap around 2pm and we got a little busy... well, word to the wise: don't get busy if you're not ready.  Sure enough, contractions started strong and every 3 to 4 minutes by 5pm.  I pulled out my iPhone and started timing them... they weren't textbook, but if they are that close together it's best to get check out, right?

So we canceled our plans for the evening (we were having a small group Bible study - at our house too!) and started zipping up my hospital bag.  Our friends (whom we had to call to cancel the small group) were super excited for us and said they'd be praying for us and to call them with updates... this got me really excited too!  I called my doula and gave her the scoop.  She said she'd meet up at the hospital in about 45 minutes.  Here in Canada we don't have to call the OB or anything, we just head in.

Hubby gathered up the digital camera and the camcorder - neither of which were charged so we also grabbed chargers... I grabbed the diaper bag (the only bag that fully WAS ready) and shoved some toiletries in a Ziploc and in my purse.  We headed out the door excited but not sure if this was "it" or what...

Hubby kept saying, "If this isn't "it", at least it's a great drill for the real thing - we know, we are not prepared yet."

We drove to the hospital and I must admit I was nervous.  The contractions kept coming pretty steady but not perfectly consistent (3:15, 4:10, 2:47, 3:23, 5:30).  I was scared that this wasn't "it" and that they'd sent me home and I'd look stupid.  I'm not sure why that was my primary concern.  Hubby was super supportive and kept telling me that I would not look stupid even if this isn't "it".

At the hospital, we went up to Maternal Triage and Hubby held my hand the whole way.  I was waddling back and forth and back and forth, all the way.  The first nurse I saw greeted me with, "Oh, no.  Not you too.  We have no beds... Grab a seat in the waiting room.  If no one comes to get you in 10-15 min come back and see us."

Nice.  So I sat down and my doula showed up a few minutes later.  Then I realized I haven't had supper yet.  I quickly sent Hubby out for some drive-thru - if this was the real thing I wouldn't be eating for some time... better stock up now while I am "benched".

So we chowed on some Tim Hortons sandwiches and I downed an orange juice.  This diabetic needs her  carbs if they won't be giving any for a while.  My sugars were at 5.6 and that was GREAT!

I mostly paced the waiting room experiencing contractions just the same.  They finally called me in about 20 min later and they hooked me up to the machine to check my contractions.  They were coming on every 4 minutes or so and lasting about a minute.  The nurse I had now was SUPER nice.  She was sweet and kind and exclaimed, "That NST strip is so perfect you could teach a class on it."  and  "Holy Toledo, those contractions are lasting quite a while, you alright sweetheart?"  I liked her.

She then checked me and I was only 1 cm dilated and my cervix was still "thick".  She said I could walk the halls for an hour or so and then she can recheck me or I could go home and try to sleep (it was almost 9pm by then) and if contractions come on stronger during the night to head back to the hospital.  "I'll be here all night," she said with a wink.

So this is the part where I was supposed to feel stupid - but I didn't.  My doula was not upset she came out to meet us.  She reassured me and said, "That's what I'm here for."  Hubby agreed that it would be best to head home.

And so we did.  I took a shower and relaxed with a movie for a bit.  Then went to bed around midnight.  Every time I woke up in the night, to pee or turn over, I was having a contraction.  So they must have carried on through-out the night.

I woke up in the morning and I was tired.  I lasted about an hour or two and then I needed a nap.

Hopefully I won't have many more of those episodes...  It's not fun.  You think "this is is!" but it isn't.  It's a real bummer.

Hubby is glad we had the drill.  "At least now we know what to expect and we know what we have to have ready."

Our cameras are all charging, and my hospital bag is re-packed and in the foyer ready to go.

The nursery is being painted today and I think tomorrow we can move in the furniture.  :)  So excited about it.  It really brings this preggo lots of relief to know that No. 2 will have a nursery where I can nurse him in privacy and change his little bum.

Come on No.2!  You can do it!

4 comments:

  1. Whoah! That sounds like a crazy night friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that sounds so exciting. Shouldn't be long now eh? Best wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you got the practice! Can't wait to hear about #2 entering the world!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Hang tight and I'll approve it.