Saturday, October 31, 2015

Tim Hortons Visit with 6 dogs

On today's agenda was visiting the Tim Horton's down the road.  It was so cool having all 6 of us dog handlers walking down the street in a line.  There are 3 yellow labs, and 3 black dogs - 2 black labs and one black poodle.  We were like a small parade with red vests on.  "Look at us and our bad selves!  We are dog handlers, and our dogs behave!"  People stopped and watched.  No joke.

At Tim's we took up an entire corner.  It was a very small Tim Hortons.  Everyone who looked our way, or passed by had this little smile on their faces.  Kinda like, that's so cute but we shouldn't stare at the beautiful dogs - they are working. And the people that thought that were right.  There was a daddy with a little toddler girl in his arms and another older daughter by his side.  As he passed by me in the restaurant the little girl reached out her hand to Hana who was several feet below her and the daddy just kept walking but said to his daughters, "Isn't that a beautiful dog?"

I wonder what it will be like to have Hana by my side everywhere I go.  As a group with all the DADs having their harnesses on it makes sense.  We are still within the neighbourhood of the Lion's Foundation /  Dog Guides.  This neighbourhood is most likely used to this.  But outside of Oakville? What will that be like?  



What was weird is that the first encounter I had with someone wanting to pet my dog, asking permission and me having to say no was within the building.  A new class arrived ("hearing ear dogs training" for those hearing impaired I guess) a couple days ago and one of the newbies was very sweet and kind and asked about my dog.  "Aw, is that your dog?" I responded with "Yes, her name is Hana." And then she asked "May I pet her?"  I was shocked.  Isn't she here to get a dog in a few days too?  Does she really not know that you aren't supposed to ask to pet a service dog? This was at least day 2 for her.  And this was within the walls of the facility at which she was staying to get her own service dog.  I politely said something like, "Actually, I don't think we can allow others to pet our dogs yet."  And she got really embarrassed and apologized and walked away.  I didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable or whatnot.  I know she hadn't finished / barely started her training, but I was virtually in the same boat as her.  Maybe I came in with more info that her.  Maybe I allowed the situation to shock me more than usual, but I did not expect the first time to have to decline someone petting Hana, to be at the Foundation.  I wasn't ready for it.  Caught me completely off guard.

This evening Hana and I (and dad) had a chance to be out in the courtyard all by our selves.  I was able to throw the tennis ball for Hana and she got it every time.  She brought it back to me and then ran out again when I threw it away or bounced up high.  She is super upbeat like me (the trainers said) and has just buckets of energy (like me!).  In fact, Erika, the trainer who came to the house to do the home visit over the summer, said she knew Hana and I would be a good match from the moment she met me.  She said she called the other trainer Gloria and told her she found a match for Hana as she left my driveway.  That's incredible.  Hana's personality is so much like mine.  I am literally looking at the dog version of me.  I know that is what they look for in a team of dog handler and dog, but this is textbook!  She is eager to please and always thinking.  They said she's as "sharp as a whip". I love her so much already. 

Tomorrow I get to see Hubby and the kids!  Grandma Buni is coming up too and so is my cousin and her husband and son.  My dad unexpectedly has to head back to Windsor right away for some test results that came in, and so I needed a replacement caretaker.  My cousin is awesome and she agreed to it.  She is so sweet.  I can't wait to have all this time to catch up with her in the evenings.  

Not sure how I'll sleep tonight.  So much excitement tomorrow.  Hana will get to meet everyone - even though everyone will try to pretend to ignore her... not sure how that will go.  I think Joshua will be all over her the most.  I'll do my best to encourage everyone to not pet her and pay too much attention to her.  Nervous and excited for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Hang tight and I'll approve it.