Thursday, October 29, 2015

1st alert on second day with Hana

 Today was another Hana filled day.  Her first shinning moment, the moment that she has been training for, came today.  She alerted me to a very low low in class.

We had just come up to class after afternoon break and I was sensing I was not feeling well.  My pump had beeped on the walk up "Low Predicted" but I didn't know I was already severely low.  Hana had done her whimper that I discouraged by saying "Hana, quiet."  In class she was beside me and whimpered again.  She had not yet alerted me.  The trainer asked that I test.  I was about 3.6 so we went off to a different room to see if Hana would alert me.  It was funny.  Although Hana sensed/smelled that I was low she first alerted Erika.  That's all Hana knows.  She smells that smell only from Erika so naturally she wanted to alert Eriks.  Hana alerted Erika by "pawing her" but it was really more like gently jumping up on her.  She asked her "off" and explained that she is waiting for Hana to realize that the smell does not come from her but rather from me.  A moment later she leaped on my lap.  Erika marked that behaviour with the clicker and we were both excited.  Erika handed me the treat for Hana and I gave it to her.  I wasn't quick enough into my own bag of treats.

 We walked back in the class and went and sat down.  I downed some candy and a classmate passed me her giant container of Gluco-tabs.  Within a few minutes Hana started whimpering again.  I wasn't sure what to do.  Was she still sensing my low?  The same one?  I said "Hana, quiet," but kept in mind that this is what Hana does before alerting.  The trainer heard Hana too and said wait for her to alert and then test.  So a second or two later Hana nearly leaped into my lap.  I said good dog and petted her head and reached for my tester.  She once again leaped up and put one paw on the tester and one on me.  I laughed and she looked at me intently.  The whole class was laughing.  She was being very adamant.  I tested and I was 2.3 - dangerously low.  Hana had sensed that I was going lower and alerted me again.  She wasn't sensing the same low she was letting me know I hadn't taken enough sugar.  Blood Glucose was dropping dangerously quick and she was doing her job.  It was so incredible.  She got a good size piece of "doggie bacon" for that one!  The class was all a buzz having just witnessed one of the dogs perform a great alert.  And Hana had performed it quite well.  I once again ate more Gluco-Tabs and also drank a grape soda that I was handed.

I looked up the meaning of Hana last night and I was completely taken aback about how perfect the different means are for her. Her name means "Grace of God" (which is what this is to me - a wonderful gift I do not deserve), "happiness" - the trainers today mentioned one of the reasons they selected Hana for me is because she is always upbeat like me, "flower"/"nose" - this one is funny and perfect, and also "to glow" - we will be a little beacon of light, we will glow and shine for the glory of God and also for diabetes awareness.  I will forever be grateful for all that I am daily given.  I am grateful I live in this day and age when not only is insulin readily available to me, but ample supplies and technologies like my pump and amazing training facilities like the Lions Foundation that trains these amazing dogs to assist us.  There is so much to be joyful for!  Seriously.



Often when I go in for a close up she licks me.  LOL Although I'm not a fan I know it's one way she is showing affection
N

 This evening I was having a craving for ice cream.  We are in downtown Oakville so I looked up a place for ice cream and after dinner dad and I headed out.  Tonight is the last night before I get Hana for sleepovers and then I won't be able to be away for over 1 hour per evening.  So we took advantage of this time.  We headed out in to the fridgid cold in search of ice cream - pistachio and black cherry is what the baby wanted ;) We walked about 2 or 3 blocks and found a Baskin Robbins.  It was yummy and hit the spot.  Sugar didn't even spike after.  It was perfect.  We arrived back and tried to watch some TV.  I fell asleep and napped for at least 2 hours.  I am finding this pregnancy more than the others I am exhausted.  I fall asleep at the drop of a hat.

Tomorrow will be more time with Hana, more training and more yummy food with new friends and my dad.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Hang tight and I'll approve it.