Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Day 2 - One more day till I meet mine

Today was Day 2.  Today was rough a bit. I woke up with a low.  So that was not fun.  Not cool.  That always sets the day up to be wonkey.  I corrected the low with some Gatorade, my Rx of choice lately.  It came up some and I was able to come down to breakfast at 8 a.m.

After another delicious breakfast: yogurt, bagels with cream cheese and jam, fruit and a cup of coffee, we had class again.  Today we learned some of the dog handling collars and how to handle a dog.  First we practiced on a giant stuffed horse.

Then Erica brought out a live dog.  A real dog!  His name was Keltie.  We were all so excited and the dog behaved beautifully.  We all stumbled and finally figured it out.  The HALTI goes over their snout, but does not restrict them from barking or eating or drinking.  They have full function with it on.  They told us it's for better handling of the dog.  It is easier to control than with the collar on alone.  The collar they use is called Martingale.  It's a loose collar and the leash has two length - short leash and long leash.  Short leash for walking, always loose at your side with the dog walking right beside you being obedient to the "heel" command, and the long leash for the dog to go outside to relieve itself.  These dogs have to be given the command to relieve themselves!  "Busy, busy," is the command.  In a day or so when I get our dogs we'll have to go out 6 or more times with the dog.  Then as we get to know our dogs more we'll figure out their routine and it will ease up and we'll only go out when the dog needs it.

As lunch time came around my pump read low again!  Not cool.  I wasn't feeling it too much but I knew that two lows in the same morning will not be easy on my body.  I had some swedish berries and fuzzy peaches and headed to lunch.  For some silly reason (none that I can name) I bolused - took insulin - late and my sugar started an up-swing.  By the time I caught it and took insulin it was too late.  I didn't sky rocket, but with the combined two lows the same day, I was done.  I barely got through the rest of the afternoon in "class".


 We were introduced to a bunch of new dogs, none of which were "ours".  The first dog that I got to handle was a black poodle.  Then a beautiful yellow lab named Ju-Jube.  I got him to "heel" (walk along with me at my pace in line with my legs, not leading me but rather me leading him) and to "sit".  I was so surprised that I basicly got it.  There was some redirecting but the dog and I walked side by side and I was easily able to get his attention back when he got distracted.


There is a lot of positive encouragement and lots of praise.  We are taught to say the dog's name and then the command.  "Ju-Jube, heel.  Good dog! That's a good boy." They love it.  It is their pay check. The reason they follow the commands.  They are so eager to please and want so badly to do what you want them to.  

Then we learned about the kennel.  Most dogs and dog owners do not like the kennel.  But to these dogs the kennel is never used in any negative way.  They are never put into it when they misbehave or long periods of time.  They see the kennel as a time to unwind and not be required to "work".  So they willingly go in; eagerly even.  They also go in "naked" - no harness, no Martingale, no Halti.  So it's very welcoming to them. Then when they need to come out - after arriving back from groceries let's say, they may be super excited that you're home.  But Erica recommended we don't go straight to them and let them out or else we are enforcing that excitable behaviour.  She recommends going and putting away groceries or whatever short time is needed for the dog to be calm, then it can come out. It was fascinating.  Although the door to the kennel is open, the dog will not come bounding out.  It would not take a step until Erica said "okay".  Then Quizno came out and the Martingale went back on and the leash.  I liked Quizno very much.  When he was in the "sit" position he looked identical to the plastic dogs you see in grocery stores or Walmart that are "donation bins" for the Lions Foundation.  

 After being here for only 24 hours I am amazed at all that they do there.  Type 1 Diabetics are not the only ones who benefit.  They train seizure dogs, autism dogs (they have 3 years wait list), seeing eye dogs and hearing ear dogs.  It's amazing.  And it's all through donations.  This dog that I will receive tomorrow has cost the organization around $25,000 and it comes to me at no charge.  That is amazing.

Once class was let out there was just over an hour to nap before dinner. And that is what I did.  Right away.  The light didn't even get turned on in my room.  I did a faceplant on the bed and passed out.  When I woke up I finally started feeling better.

Enjoyed dinner (and ate brussel spouts for the first time) and then hung out with this cute little 8 week old puppy in the common area.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Hang tight and I'll approve it.