Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Busy Mamma

Life of a mom is busy.  Life of a mom of two is busier.  But life of a mom with diabetes with two, is busiest!

I have had no time at all in the last three weeks.  With two kids there is always someone to feed, someone to change, someone's snot to wipe, and some days mom is feeling drained.  I am thankful beyond words to my mom, who has been here for half of those three weeks, my in-laws who have dropped off meals, picked up Noah for an afternoon or even overnight numerous times.  Hubby has been more than wonderful!  Changing the diaper, burping the little guy, bringing my tester, finding my tester... He's been great.  And working on top of it all.  He was able to stay at home with us the first week, which was great.  Now I miss him when he's away all day.

The two little monkeys are keeping me busy.  It's pretty hard to enforce TimeOut with the toddler when the infant is at my boob.  :)  But you gotta do what you gotta do - consistency is key in disciple.

My sugars have been kindda all over the place.  I have a sensor on again... after hitting a 23 one day simply because I did not test for hours upon hours.  Somewhere in there I must have had a meal or a large snack and forgot to take any insulin for it.  Well I say enough is enough.  I plopped another sensor on and now I hear the familiar beep beep BEEP letting me know my sugar is going up.  "Oh yeah, I didn't bolus."

After being so used to having a sensor, going without throws me for a loop.  So anyways, I wanna say the 23 was a one time thing but it wasn't.  Even with the sensor on, if the METER BG NOW prompts me to test and I don't (and then it does it again every hour for the next 4 and I still don't) a 17 is not a surprise.  I am not used to testing before every meal - the sensor usually tells me where I'm at... and if I forget to bolus (as if I haven't been diabetic for over 6 years and needed insulin AT EVERY MEAL!!!!) then the sensor will beep at me.  Anyways, all that to say I am not trying hard enough.  It's sad to say but it's the truth.  In fact, let me check *looks down at pump* right now I have a METER BG prompt (and it's been there for almost two hours).  Ugh!  *goes and retrieves tester* 11.7  see?  That's bad.  I'm a bad diabetic.  Alright, lets do this *updates sensor*  *bolus wizard to correct high*  What is going on?  It doesn't want to give me anything to correct the high.  It says I have enough insulin on board... but that is only true if I bolused correctly... Sometimes I override the wizard and give myself a guestimate amount of insulin.  Sometimes (most of the time) I was wrong in bolusing.  But sometimes after doing an override I end up with a low.  Let's think here... Yesterday I had a high around lunch time and the wizard did the math calculation for the correction and it was right.  I was down to 4.6 in about 2 or 3 hours.  And now?  Do I trust it and also trust that I bolused for the correct amount of carbs?  Or since I doubt my bolusing I also doubt it?  So much thinking.... I have baby brain right now and feel as if I won't make the right decision...*do nothing*  Hopefully it will correct itself.  I'll see in about an hour or so... if it's not going down, I'll do the wizard again.

Yesterday I woke up with a low and that threw the whole day outta whack.  After overcorrecting with way too many carbs - I wanted to eat everything in sight - , I felt like I had a huge high but my sugar reading was 7.8 . Why is that?  If I bolused correctly and if my BG is saying I am good, why do I feel so rotten?

As I was holding Josh, while Noah was playing on the carpet in front of us, I had the same sensation as if I was driving and suddenly got really drowsy.  I felt as if I might just fall asleep right there on the armchair in the living room, leaving my infant baby and toddler to fend for themselves.  It was scary.  I made myself stand up and walk over to the phone to call my father-in-law.  I asked him to come over and watch the boys while I napped.  He was very gracious and came over promptly.  I passed off Josh and kissed Noah on the head.  Then I dragged my feet to the bedroom and passed out immediately.  No tossing, no turning; just sleep.

My father-in-law brought Josh in to nurse two hours later and told me he'd be taking Noah back to his place to give me some more time to sleep.  I said thank you and me and Josh fell asleep together on my bed.  I woke up another 2 hours later not feeling any better.  Hubby was just walking in the door from work and took Josh to change him before brining him back to me to nurse him.  I think I fell asleep for a bit again... that was kindda scary.  I don't ever nap for more than 2 hours, 3 max!  I had slept 5 hours and still felt lousy.  Hubby brought my tester and asked me to test (my sensor had not been updated, of course).  *test* 5.1 - so it wasn't that.  Later on in the evening I got some muscle cramps and was feeling quite lousy still.  Finally by 10 or 11 I felt normal again.  I'm not sure what was up with all of that.  But at least it was a one day thing.

Today is much better.  I am tidying up and doing what feels like laundry for a small army.  A friend from work is stopping by to meet Josh later and I am quite excited to see her.

Life is busy for sure.  But life is also great.  I have two wonderful boys, a loving husband, a gracious family and more blessings than I deserve.  God is good!

1 comment:

  1. HOLY MAC!!!!! That's crazy. CRAZYYYY!!!!!!

    You're not a bad diabetic. You're a new mommy with 2 and trying to figure it all out. Hang in there....and post when you can to keep us updated :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Hang tight and I'll approve it.