Friday, September 10, 2010

The Birth Story

I am more than pleased to announce the birth of our second son, Joshua Lucas.  He was born Saturday, September 4th at 10:02pm weighing (get this!) 10 lbs, 2 oz.

Joshua Lucas, 12 hours old

It all started the day before.  We were working hard to wrap up The Basement Project.  We had a carpet installer at the house, and my mother and I were working hard at "flipping" the boys' rooms.  The toddler's bed needed to be converted to a crib again.  It needed to be washed and the mattress raised and the bedding found and the railing reinstalled.

mom and I, setting up the bassinet
the day before
Then there was the bassinet and a new toddler bed for Noah.  We set up a cool blue car bed for him and rearranged his bedroom.  It was all happening in a frenzi.  I invited some friends over to help us and Hubby and his dad were still touching up the paint in the foyer.  I'm sure all that work did something for my uterus.

The next morning, Saturday, Hubby and I thought we'd "get busy" since it worked before.  Maybe if I was ready this time it might actually put me in labour.  The house was mostly ready so why not?  Well within about 2 hours, while we were enjoying our coffees with mom and Noah in the newly plush carpeted basement, the contractions started.  At first I didn't really time them since I wasn't sure they were close together enough.  Then finally when I started catching my breath as they came, I pulled out my iPhone.  Sure enough they were about 3 or 4 minutes apart.  I gave Hubby the green light - it was time to go.

We piled our stuff in the minivan and started driving to the hospital.  As we got closer to the hospital my contractions spaced out a tad and I chickened out a bit.  I suggested we circle around the hospital - maybe hit a Tim Horton's drive-thru.  So although they were somewhat consistent, the one or two that was 5 or 6 minutes apart threw the whole thing out of whack.  We grabbed ice caps and drove home.

I went to lay down and soon Hubby and Noah joined me.  We all piled into the King size bed and took a nap.  It was sweet.  I remember waking up once or twice during contractions but I was able to go back to sleep.

timing my contractions
I woke up an hour and a half later with some more contractions.  I walked out of the bedroom quietly.  My mom was watching the US Open so I joined her.  I pulled out the iPhone again and started timing.  This time they were consistently 2:30 to 3:00.  I went in the bedroom and woke Hubby up.  "This is not a drill."

We arrived at the hospital around 5:30pm and right when I walked in security asked if needed a wheelchair.  I wasn't panting, I didn't look disheveled but yet they knew I was in labour.  I wondered if they are trained to notice these things... or did it just come with experience.

We headed up to maternal triage.  They checked me and much to my surprise I was 3-4 cm and 50% effaced.  They said I was in labour and a room was being set up for me.  I called the doula and she said she'd arrive in 10-15 min.  I couldn't believe it - this was it.  I was about to get on a "crazy train"and I knew there were no stops until we reached our destination.

Our doula :) 
Once our doula arrived, Hubby headed down to repark the car and bring up our stuff.  I explained my contractions and their frequency to the doula - I had pain that was similar to menstrual cramps but stronger and they were pretty frequent.

The nurses were great.  They must have all read my birth plan because soon the yoga bag and a bean bag made it's way in our room.  Then they all pretty much left us alone.  Every half hour they had to come in to listen to the baby.  They used a wireless monitor to listen to Nr. 2.  I thought they would use a portable one one wheels but no.  It was a small and wireless - the size of your fist.  That was so great.  I was given the freedom that I needed to cope with labour.  

We started focusing.  The contractions kept coming.  One after another, they did not ease up - they only got stronger.  Soon it was harder and harder to concentrate on anything else but getting through the current contraction.

The contractions were now starting to be doubled-up - as one was "easing up" the next would be starting.  Those were hard since I was not getting any breaks in between.  My doula suggested that I try labouring in the shower.  I insisted on wearing my maternity bathing suit.  I was not comfortable being "exposed" and labouring naked as some women do.  I used the yoga ball in the shower and during every contraction Hubby compressed my hips together and that helps so much.  The doula kept me focused and reminded me to breathe for the baby during every contraction.  As the urge to push came near we quickly moved from the shower to back to the room.  It was all happening very fast.  I chose to refuse the epidural earlier in the pregnancy and so I was dealing with the pain solely through getting through each and every contraction one at a time.

As I entered into the transitioning stage, the hardest part, all I could do was ask God to give me the strength that He has promised in the Bible to those who ask.  I saw the other side of each contraction and soon, only 4 hours after I was admitted, my son, Joshua Lucas was born.  He was wonderful.  I burst into tears when they placed him on my chest.


What a blessing!  Another boy.  Another healthy baby boy.  Another successful delivery.  Another reason to praise God and thank Him for getting us through this.  There is a verse in the Bible that says, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  This has been so important in my life.  As a diabetic I was always afraid that I would be limited to the things that I could do.  Last year this is the verse that was on my shirt as I ran the Detroit Free Press 1/2 Marathon - something I figured that a diabetic could never do.  Or that this "sick" body could carry a child (could carry two children) to full term, and that my sugars have not harmed them.  I am blown away by the grace that has been extended to me.

Josh, 5 days old
Now as Josh is five days old, I am loving him and nursing and enjoying being a mom of two beautiful boys.

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations - he's beautiful. And your experience with the 5.3% A1C and 10lb baby goes to show that some babies are big and that it has nothing whatsoever to do with Mum's diabetic control!! I'm currently 7 weeks and have an A1C of 6.3%, but am dealing with the knowledge that since my husband was 10lb and my grandfather 16lbs (imagine doing that in 1916!) I may be in for a big baby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS!! I can only hope that I can be as strong and determined as you throughout my labor. Now I have to ask the question that I'm most worried about: How were Josh's blood sugars? I really want to exclusively breastfeed and I'm hoping my little one will have good sugars so they don't have to give her a bottle or IV to get her through.

    Congrats again and, btw, he's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEAUTIFUL...congratulations to you, Nathan, and Noah!!!!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. YYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

    What a beautiful story....so inspiring. And you look absolutely GORGEOUS in that pic with him right in your arms.

    Congrats, congrats, congrats!

    God bless your perfect little family :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to Josh! Congratulations..he is lovely! And 10lbs..holy moly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!! He is beautiful, thanks for sharing your story!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks you guys!! I have loved every minute of having him - even the minutes at 4am when the world is sleeping and I'm up nursing my baby. :) soon those minutes will be up and I will miss it. I know. Oh gotta go - poo poo patrol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Hang tight and I'll approve it.