Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Is my 3-year-old diabetic?

Something alarming happened yesterday.  Before eating our lunch we decided we should be proactive with out 3-year-old and test his blood sugar before we eat.  I have been a Type 1 diabetic since I was 20-years-old and so my son has a heightened chance of having T1 D at some point in his life too.  He didn't really know the test was coming so he didn't struggle against it at all.  I held my breath and waited the 5 seconds for the display to show his reading... 7.5 - 7.5!?  How can that be?  We had cereal around 10:30 a.m. and it was about 1 p.m.  Why would his reading be 7.5?  Hubby and I were both concerned.  We had our lunch and the whole time we are both lost in thought over what this could mean.   

It started with me eyeing his lunch: half of a whole-wheat sandwich with a 1/2 a miniature cup of OJ.  I started doing the math... the carb math.  Sandwich: 15 g of carb; OJ: 10 g.  That mean 25 g of carbs.  So now what?  I would reach over to his insulin pump and program that in? ... or would be be injections for a while until we would get our hands on a pump?  Would he let me prick him with a needle?  What about later when he would be going over to grandpa's house?  How would they know what to do and would I ever trust other people to take care of his diabetes?  What about sleeping over at grandpa's?  Never again... I couldn't stop thinking about it. 

I put him down for a nap and two hours later when he woke up I tried testing him again.  I didn't even have the patience to change him out of his PJs.  I needed to see the reading. This time when I asked him to test he refused to let me do it and I had to chase him throughout the house to test.  I tried bribing him with a gummy, with Thomas, with promises of a Pooh Bear bandaid, with allowing him to watch "the robot part" from ToyStory 2... Nothing worked.



Finally, once he settled into the Thomas DVD I sneaked up on him and pricked his thumb.  He didn't freak out or get upset.  I applied the band-aid as promised (although he did not need it at all) and gave him the gummy.  The test showed 4.6  Phew.  But still why the 7.5?  If he is not diabetic, is he border-line?  Doe it work the same way in T1 as in T2? 

I would love to know from some of the moms that have little ones with diabetes how did you get them to test or allow you to test them or be willing to insert the infusion set?  

This little scare yesterday really brought some stuff in perspective for me...  Hats of to all you moms who do it day in and day out.  It's unbelievably overwhelming to think about, never mind going though it every day and night.   

2 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to you. It is scary to think of our children getting T1. I just have to ask, did you wash his hands before you tested?

    I worried that my 5 year old was showing signs and after a couple of tests with high readings I was positive he was diabetic. I did a few fasting tests on him before he ate breakfast and those were all in range. It took a while but my husband and I figured out that the really high reading was because he had dried fruit juice on his fingers from when he ate fruit salad with his hands for lunch.

    If you worry enough then bring it up with the pediatrician. I've had my now 5 year old tested when he was 2. The worry is real and never completely goes away. I'm sorry. I completely understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny that you say that. I once tested him just after he ate a pear and it came up as 14. I freaked out. But I remembered that it was a super juicy pear so I washed his hands and retested. He was 5.1 So yeah you are absolutely right.

    I will remember to wash his hands the next time I sneak up on him to test him.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Hang tight and I'll approve it.