Thursday, April 29, 2010

Deer Park

My hubbie and I first met at a beautiful lodge resort called Deer Park Lodge exactly 10 years ago.  We've been back at least 5 times since.  Once or twice while we were still dating, then as newly weds within that first year, as eager expectant parents with my big belly, and even with Noah, our 2-year-old.  Every time the experience was amazing.  Deer Park is located in a small town called Bayfield right on the shores of Lake Huron.  It has amazing sunsets and best of all unforgettable memories.

The year I met Nathan my girlfriends and I stayed in the cabin named Butternut.  Even though it was 10 years ago I remember it like it was yesterday.  My friend Raluca and I arrived first early Friday afternoon.  Our church youth group was having our spring retreat there and we were tickled pink with excitement.  We chose a bedroom and quickly unpacked.  Soon our other two friends, Andra and Maria arrived.  I was newly single and ready to wait for years and years until "the one" came along.  No more dating, no more crushes.  Although I was only 15, I felt a strong desire to not give away anymore pieces of my heart until the guy would come along that would be worthy of becoming my husband.  Not that I saw myself as very "worthy" but rather that I knew that I wanted even my dating relationship with my future husband to be special.  I was a virgin and I planned to stay that way until I become a wife.  I certainly wanted someone that would not only respect and honour that wish, but rather also feel the same way and appreciate me that much more. 

Enter Nathan. 

Now as we anticipate the birth of our second child, we are planning another trip for the end of next month.  This time we will be renting a cabin with both sets of parents.  So we'll grab this one beautiful cabin called "The Hutch".  It's a very rustic 3 bedroom cabin with a beautiful view of Lake Huron (which is so enormous it looks like we're at the sea).  The beach is spectacular and the in-ground pool refeshing.  There are canoes and water-bikes and all other kinds of activities that are all inclusive.  I can't wait to go back.  
Last year we went with another married couple.  They were celebrating the hubbie's birthday while we were celebrating 5 years of marriage.  This was Noah's first time at Deer park and he had so much fun.  He loved playing in the huge sand pit.  He went down to the beach with mama and we climbed all over the canoes and threw pebbles in the water.  I took lots of pictures.  Some of my best ones of Noah are from that afternoon that we spent at the beach. 

Unfortunately, Nate was right in the middle of his chemo treatments so he was pretty tired for most of the trip.  That particular afternoon daddy was napping while Noah and I went to the beach.  It's funny how even the happiest of memories have been tainted by that cancer. 

But all of that is now behind us.  Nate is having his port removed as I mentioned in an earlier post and we are excited that our party of three will soon be a party of four.  I can't wait to drive up there and really enjoy ourselves.  It makes me smile every time I think of it.  I can smell the fresh air and hear the pebbles under my feet when I first step out of the car on the property.

Now all I have to do is call and book it.  I better get on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Hang tight and I'll approve it.